1 a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event" [syn: effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot]
2 the outcome of an event especially as relative to an individual; "that result is of no consequence" [syn: aftermath]
3 having important effects or influence; "decisions of great consequence are made by the president himself"; "virtue is of more moment that security" [syn: import, moment] [ant: inconsequence]
- That which follows something on which it depends; that which is produced by a cause.
- A result of actions.
- I'm warning you. If you don't get me the report on time, there will be consequences.
- A proposition collected from the agreement of other previous propositions; any conclusion which results from reason or argument; inference.
- Chain of causes and effects; consecution.
- Importance with respect to what comes after.
- The power to influence or produce an effect.
that which follows something on which it depends; that which is produced by a cause
a result of actions
a proposition collected from the agreement of other previous propositions
- Finnish: seuraus
chain of causes and effects; consecution
- Finnish: seuraus
importance with respect to what comes after
the power to influence or produce an effect
- German: Konsequenz
Consequence can refer to:a good or a bad result of your actions.
- Consequences, a game.
- Consequentialism, in Philosophy concerns mainly about what would happen due to the act that is done and regards the act itself as being of less importance.
- Logical consequence (also syntactic consequence), a formula that follows from other formulas called its premises syntactically via a logical argument.
- Semantic consequence, a formula that follows from other formulas by virtue of being satisfied by every model of the premises.
- Consequence, an American rapper.
- Consequence, that which results from bad behavior.
- Consequence, the tenth track in The Notwist's album, Neon Golden which was covered by The Idle Villagers.
- Unintended consequence
- Consequences (Buffy episode), an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Consequences (Dave Burrell album), album by Dave Burrell
- Consequences (album), album by Godley & Creme
consequence in German: Konsequenz
consequence in French: Conséquence
PS, Parthian shot, accent, addendum, affective meaning, aftereffect, aftermath, afterthought, amour propre, appendix, ascendancy, authority, back matter, bearing, by-product, cachet, charisma, charm, chorus, clout, coda, codicil, colophon, coloring, complacence, complacency, conceitedness, concern, concernment, conclusion, connotation, consequent, consequentiality, consideration, conspicuousness, continuance, continuation, control, corollary, credit, deduction, denotation, derivation, derivative, descendant, development, dignity, distillate, distinction, dominance, domination, double take, drift, dying words, dynasty, effect, egoism, egotism, elevation, eminence, emphasis, enchantment, envoi, epilogue, essence, esteem, event, eventuality, eventuation, exaltation, excellence, exigency, extension, fame, favor, follow-through, follow-up, force, fruit, gist, glory, good feeling, grammatical meaning, grandeur, greatness, harvest, heir, heroism, high mightiness, high order, high rank, hold, honor, idea, illation, impact, implication, import, importance, incidental power, induction, inference, influence, influentiality, influentialness, insinuation, intension, interest, issue, last words, leadership, legacy, leverage, lexical meaning, line, lineage, literal meaning, loftiness, logical outcome, magnanimity, magnetism, magnitude, majesty, mark, mastery, materiality, meaning, merit, moment, momentousness, narcissism, need, nobility, notability, note, offshoot, offspring, outcome, outgrowth, outstandingness, overtone, paramountcy, parting shot, peroration, personality, persuasion, pertinence, pith, point, position, posterity, postface, postfix, postlude, postscript, potency, power, practical consequence, precedence, precipitate, predominance, preeminence, preponderance, pressure, prestige, pride, primacy, priority, product, prominence, purchase, purport, range of meaning, rank, real meaning, reference, referent, refrain, reign, relation, relevance, renown, reputation, repute, result, resultant, rule, say, scope, second thought, self-importance, semantic cluster, semantic field, seniority, sense, sequel, sequela, sequelae, sequelant, sequence, sequent, sequitur, significance, signification, significatum, signifie, span of meaning, spirit, standing, state, stature, stress, structural meaning, suasion, sublimity, subscript, substance, subtle influence, successor, suffix, suggestion, sum, sum and substance, supereminence, superiority, supplement, supremacy, swan song, sway, symbolic meaning, tag, tenor, totality of associations, transferred meaning, unadorned meaning, undertone, upper hand, upshot, vainglory, value, weight, weightiness, whip hand, worth